Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sundays' Gems - 22/09/2013

After the ongoing bouts of food allergy rashes, sleepless nights waking up from the burning rashes and hours spent unfocused and delirious from the pain and itch, today was a good day. Moreover, stopping part time work at the cafe was a good decision. I mean it's not like I really needed the money, I just felt obligated to work there because the cafe was so busy and I thought if I could help out maybe it would ease everybody's duties. But then when I have days like this, sometimes it all makes sense: I was meant to be a lazy bum.

  • "Consider other uses of those two years. Instead of relying on an M.B.A. to boost her skill set, a woman could teach herself a hard skill like programming or Chinese, or she could start her own business. If she’s working in Silicon Valley, on Wall Street, or another industry where many are promoted without M.B.A.s, she could stay put and continue to rise. And if she doesn’t have a better use for those two years now but thinks she might later on, why not preserve that option?" - The New Yorker's Why Women Should Skip Business School
  • "My heart sank when I asked how long he had been in Italy, away from his family. "Ten years." he said. It had been okay at first, he explained, but since 2007, Italy had gone downhill. He shook his head. "Very bad here." - Urban Sketcher's A World Away
  • My laptop is lagging like nobody's business. Bob is old, frailing and dying. It's time to get a new desktop computer and CPU. Any suggestions on the processor, CPU I should get? I just need something that can last and perform decently. I don't really need six cores and stuff since I don't really video edit much etc. 
  • A compelling, deep journal article on "Why I Want Children Young". I have no intentions of having children as early as the author but I just figured the article was a nice respite from the societal norms that are pressurizing you into having a child when you are 27 and older (or when you have a stable career blahblah). What makes her extraordinary is that she made her choice and has her own beautiful resilience, motivation and strength that she has stuck with - her blog is filled with sensual photographs of her little girl. Ultimately it really comes down to each individual. Every major decisions such as childbirth, marriage and career (...) is contingent to the character and the alacrity of the individual to live best with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment